Wednesday, November 21, 2012

thankful

boy, we all have a lot to be thankful for, don't we? it's so easy in this society to feel sorry for ourselves & obsess over what we don't have instead of what we do. this year I'm feeling extremely grateful for my health, my faith & the love & support of those around me. what are you feeling grateful this season?

this thanksgiving is the first time in family history that we're breaking a big tradition. after losing pop over the summer, we all felt it would be too hard to go back to the lakehouse
this year without him (thanksgiving was his very favorite holiday). so we're doing something crazy. we're headed to atlanta today to stay with my sister & get this... we are skipping thanksgiving dinner altogether. we're going out to eat at a tapas restaurant on thursday! totally crazy, I know. but I suppose thanksgiving isn't so much about what you eat as it is about who you're with. and I'm pretty proud of myself for trying something new. I have a bit of a problem with change (I'm the one who pitches a fit if a certain food gets left off the thanksgiving day menu. like that one time when my mom tried to make the argument that mashed potatoes & sweet potatoes were basically the same thing!! um... no!)

I did, however, manage to get a little baking in - smitten kitchen's salted caramel apple tart. hopefully it travels well. 

happy thanksgiving, friends! 


2 comments:

  1. I am so proud of you! I hope you have a great time, I will be thinking about you guys. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope it was a wonderful adventure–it sounds like a perfect way to spend the long weekend!

    Confession I think you'll especially appreciate: we made my mother completely remake Thanksgiving dinner one year because there were only sweet potatoes. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails